A Lifesaving Society Program
The Lifesaving Society’s National Lifeguard certification is Canada’s professional lifeguard standard. The updated National Lifeguard curriculum is grounded in important lifeguard competencies – judgment, knowledge, skill, fitness – and will include the following Physical Standards:
- Item 2a Object recovery Demonstrate anaerobic fitness and strength for an object recovery: Starting in the water, swim 15m and surface dive to recover a 20 lb object; surface and carry the object 5 m – all within 40 sec;
- Item 2b Underwater Swim Demonstrate anaerobic fitness and skill for an underwater swim: Starting in the water, submerge and swim 15 m underwater;
- Item 2c Sprint challenge Demonstrate anaerobic fitness: Starting in the water, swim 50 m head-up within 60 sec;
- Item 2d Rescue drill Demonstrate endurance and strength for a submerged manikin or victim recovery and rescue: Starting in the water, swim to recover a submerged manikin or victim located 25 m away; carry the manikin or victim 25 m – all within 90 seconds;
- Item 2e Endurance challenge Demonstrate aerobic fitness and endurance: Swim 400 m within 10 min.;
- Item 2f Approach & carry Demonstrate endurance and strength for a distressed victim rescue: Starting in the water, approach 15 m head-up to contact a distressed victim in deep water; carry the victim 5 m supporting the victim’s head and shoulders above the surface.
As a whistle and basic first aid kit are required for use and evaluated in NLS, they have both been included in the course cost and will be issued to each candidate on the first class along with the required text, the Alert Manual. Candidates will also receive a Lifeguard waist pack to carry their CPR mask and gloves.
Prerequisites: 16 years of age AND Bronze Cross AND Standard First Aid-CPR C
Please note: That the Standard First Aid-CPR C award must be issued by one of the following agencies: Lifesaving Society, Canadian Red Cross, St. John’s Ambulance or Canadian Ski Patrol.
Required Materials: The Canadian Lifesaving Manual, CPR mask, gloves
(If a candidate does not have any of the above items, they can be purchased from Zodiac at time of registration)
100% attendance is required for successful completion of the course.
Course Cost: $490 incl. HST
|Location||Course Dates||Times||Activity #|
|Havergal College||January 2nd - 6th, 2019||Wednesday – Sunday 9 am – 6 pm||27785|
|Havergal College||March 11th -15th, 2019||Monday – Friday 9 am – 6 pm||27786|
|Havergal College||April 12th - 13th, May 3rd - 4th &
May 24th - 25th, 2019
|Friday 6 - 10 pm
Saturday 10 am - 7 pm
|Tamarack*||June 16th - 20th, 2019||Sunday 1pm - Thursday 1pm||27788|
|Havergal College||August 26th - 30th, 2019||Monday – Friday 9 am - 6 pm||27789|
*The National Lifeguard at Camp Tamarack will run Sunday June 16, 2019 at 1:00pm-Thursday June 20, 2019 at 1:00pm.
Convenienty located just outside of Bracebride, Muskoka, this course includes accomodation, meals/snacks, and course materials.
The pool componets will be held at Bracebridge pool and candidates will travel to the pool site daily.
Cost: To be confirmed